to Pregnancy Reviews
- First or second trimester ultrasound provides
more accurate dating than even a 'certain'
last menstrual period
- Establishing an expected date of delivery
by scan dates alone (vs 7, 10 or 14 day 'rules')
reduces unnecessary inductions for postdate
- There appears to be little clinical benefit
in using more than one dose of prostaglandin
- Misoprostol promises to be an effective induction
agent but its introduction has to await a large
- Uterine hyperstimulation is often underdiagnosed.
- Formal guidelines are needed, which should
include the immediate stopping of oxytocin.
- There may be a place for tocolytics
- Reliance on technology - e.g. tocograph monitoring
- should not lead to us ignoring our basic
IOL Perinatal Forum - Recommendations for current
1. pregnancy dating should be by ultrasound scan
2. beware of uterine hyperstimulation!
3. there is an urgent need for induction and hyperstimulation protocols.