RGN, OND, RM
Project Support Midwife
Pat Brydon is a Diabetes Project Support Midwife at the Perinatal Institute for maternal and child health
in Birmingham working within a team of 5 Midwives and is involved in projects aimed at enhancing midwifery
care and maternity service provision across the region.
Pat qualified and practiced as a Registered General Nurse in 1984, obtaining experience and an Ophthalmic
Nursing Diploma prior to qualifying and practicing as a Midwife in 1987 at Queen Charlottes Hospital, London.
She moved to the West Midlands in 1989 where she has continued to practice, gaining experience in a variety
of areas. Prior to her current appointment, Pat worked for the University of Birmingham to establish and
maintain a database for women with pre-gestational and gestational diabetes in pregnancy within the West
Currently she is assisting in the co-ordination and implementation of the Regional Confidential Enquiry
into the Diabetic Pregnancy and other associated perinatal projects in the Institute as well as working as
a Midwife in a combined multidisciplinary Diabetic Antenatal Clinic within the Birmingham & Black Country
Pat's most recent publications
- Pre-conception diabetes care in insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus, Quarterly Journal of Medicine 1999; 92: 175-176.
F.P. Dunne, P Brydon, T Smith, M Essex, H Nicholson, J Dunn
- Pregnancy outcome in women with insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus complicated by Nephropathy Quarterly
Journal of Medicine 1999; 92: 451-454. F.P. Dunne, T.A. Chowdhary, A Hartland, T Smith, P.A. Brydon, C Conkey, H.O. Nicholson
- Pregnancy Outcome in Women with Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus needs to be addressed. International Journal
Clinical Practice September 2000: 54; No 7, 418-419. P Brydon, T Smith, M Proffitt, H Gee, R Holder, F Dunne
- Fetal and maternal outcomes in Indo-Asian compared to Caucasian women with diabetes in pregnancy. Quarterly
Journal of Medicine 2000: 93; 813-818. F.P Dunne, P.A. Brydon, M Proffitt, T Smith, H Gee, R.L. Holder.
- Approaching Saint Vincent: Perinatal Mortality. Diabetic Medicine 2001: 18; 333-334. Dunne F, Brydon P,
Proffitt M, Smith T, Gee H, Holder R.
- Maternal ante-natal parameters as predictors of persistent postnatal glucose intolerance: a comparative
study between Afro-Caribbeans, Asians and Caucasians Diabetic Medicine 2003: 20; 382-386. B. Sinha, P Brydon,
R.S. Taylor, A Hollins. A Munro, D Jenkins, F Dunne.
- Pregnancy in women with type 2 diabetes: 12 years outcome data 1990-2002. Diabetic Medicine 2003: 20,
734-738 F Dunne, P Brydon, K Smith and H Gee.
- Changes in Plasma lipids and markers of Oxidative Stress in normal pregnancy and pregnancies complicated
by Diabetes. Clinical Science 2004: 106; 93-98. V Toescu, SL Nuttall, U Martin, P Nightingale, MJ Kendall,
P Brydon, F Dunne.